Monday, February 6, 2012

House Crazy

Just call me house crazy…but I love buying an old place and making it mine. I’ve done it twice and both times it was what the real estate market call “estate” home. That’s short-hand for cheap and in bad shape but the price was affordable, a mere $19,000.

I bought my first house in 1971. This home was a 50-year-old, 2,000 sq. ft., two-story Cape Cod in the city on a small lot. It had great bones but needed a LOT of TLC.  But I was young and full of ideas and energy.
The exterior was "shabby chic" painted traditional white and in sore of work. It had old windows, crumbling front steps, a brick fireplace and an old roof but it was located on a quiet dead-end street with a wooded backyard, in a nice starter neighborhood with a good elementary school. The good defintely outweighed the bad.
It also came with a large formal living room with an attractive brick fireplace (with built in open shelves on both sides) and a very large dining room. Downstairs it had a small galley kitchen that hadn’t been touched since the 1950’s with a wonderful adjoining butler’s pantry. There was also a summer sun porch in knotty pine and a small bathroom with a walk in shower off the butler’s pantry.
Upstairs it had two bedrooms and bathroom with a tub (in 1950’s pink tile!) and it best of all it had wonderful hard oak floors throughout that were in very good shape. It also had a good sized, unfinished basement with another oak floor of all things.
I lived and worked in this home for 25 years, raising my two sons there and since on one income a total remodel was out of the question, I painted, papered and decorated it a bit at a time it… on a shoestring – a real DYI.
I see now that by today’s standards it was but a simple starter home, but at age 21, I was in heaven to own my house and I worked long and hard to make it my own
Sorry no photographs are available since this was in the day long before digital cameras! But I promise that photographs are coming in the next post with my current home.

4 comments:

  1. Hellow fellow Michigander!!
    Saw your comment on Meadowbrook and thought I would drop in on your blog!
    I'm north of Ann Arbor.

    Love this post on your cape cod and looking forward to seeing you photos!!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna,
    Thanks for your visit to my blog! You didn't leave an email address so that I could answer your question so I hope you don't mind me leaving it here. :)
    Personally, I find that I get a lot of inspiration from Artful Blogging. Yes, it does come with a hefty price tag but I feel you get more than your money's worth.
    If you're looking more for a "how to", I would suggest you Google blogging. There's a plethora of information out there - some of it free, some of it not. :)
    Best of luck with your new blog!
    ~ Lynda Naranjo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna~I'm from Indiana originally, and with the current housing market, my family purchased a couple of different homes there as rental properties. We got one for $2500. Can you believe that? Well, they aren't in the best shape, but we are planning on doing the renovations ourselves this summer. Yikes! Good luck on your new blog! Look forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I'm dying to see photos! I can just imagine it though. Can't wait to see what you achieved with it!

    ReplyDelete